Colin says....
"I do like this travelling in Mavis lark. I do like sleeping flat out in this warm sun and I love a big sandy beach. I don't mind the occasional long(ish) walk BUT there is one thing I really, really hate and that is trudging round French medieval walled towns.
What is it that my people think is so great about some cobbley old town with a wall round it?
Today Penny and I got dragged round Montreuil. We had to climb a steep path from our campsite (which is in a wood by a river - what more could any dog want?).
We went through a tunnel in the walls - where I found some nice old food someone had dropped a few days ago, it had been a bit trodden in but looked very tasty but of course 'She' wouldn't let me eat it and dragged me past.
We stopped at one of those cafe's in the street, Penny and I are supposed to sit quietly beside her chair while they knock back that red wine they seem to like so much. Penny and I talked to a few passers by; the French always stop and make a big fuss of us but then we got a bit bored so played one of our favourite games, 'tangling the lead', this involves careful co-ordination from Penny and me, she wraps herself one way round the chair while I go the other so that by the time 'She' has finished her wine, she can't move her chair and if she's had too much wine she might even fall over us, sadly that didn't happen today.
After they had sat in the sun drinking wine, they decided we had to walk the city ramparts. It was warm and sunny and although Penny is always keen to go for a walk, I would have preferred to have a siesta.
It started well because it was a nice path with grass all round it and away from traffic so 'She' let us off the lead however the freedom didn't last long because Penny thought it would be hilarious to dice with death and run along the edge of the ramparts with a huge drop below and no fence or wall. Penny got the desired effect and scared Mother witless, so we both got put on the lead. 'She' says the French don't do health and safety and if the ramparts had been in the UK, they would have had at least two fences in front of the drop and warning notices every three feet!
Finally we had walked all the way round the dreaded walled town and now I am finally able to sleep in the sun beside Mavis with Penny and Dad (who is sleeping off the red wine in his deckchair).
Vive La France,
Colin
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please add comments here.